Free cursors for MySpace at www.totallyfreecursors.com!

Friday, July 29, 2005

 

TV...the ideal

I have this feeling that there might used to have been a broader spectrum of culturally accepted types of people then there are today. I say this because I believe TV has fully infiltrated our concept of what normal is. I think that before TV people were probably a lot more diverse. Sure there was radio and that was probably the beginning but with all the crap shows that are on in the evenings now it just seems like a big watered down MTV Spring Break episode. The drama is all captured on tape so we can get our soap opera fix. The guys have washboard stomachs and the girls say 'like' a lot. Everybody knows about Carmen Elektra's recent breakup...BLAH...BLAH...BLAH! And when it comes to music, often times it is not the music that reflects life but for the suburban white kids it is life that imitates music.
I guess it's kind of a good thing since there's more overlap now. It leads to more tolerance between the racially different masses; and I'm all for that.
I just think that maybe it used to be different. That people were allowed to be more unique; that the pressure to conform wasn't as strong before TV.
I don't know.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?