Free cursors for MySpace at www.totallyfreecursors.com!

Sunday, May 01, 2005

 

It's windy this evening!

"I love the wind," I declared late on Friday afternoon to my flatmate and co-worker Michelle as I sat at my desk looking out the window. My mind started wandering as it has a tendency to do and before I knew it I was recalling a scary run I made not so long ago. You see, I spent my final year of college abroad attending classes in Brussels Belgium. I had no idea what I was going to do when I returned. While there, the war in Iraq started so the prospect of becoming an officer in a peace-time military was no longer an option. I had a drop-out buddy/roommate in college (who coincidentally is graduating this May from Penn State with a degree in MATHEMATICS!!!) who used to say he might end up becoming a truck driver. Well, sitting in Brussels, I decided I'd become a trucker when I came home; BA degree in hand.
Sure enough, that's exactly what I did! I spent $5,000 on a truck driving school that taught me the basics and helped me get hired by one of the leading companies in the industry: Werner Enterprises out of Omaha Nebraska. Before I knew it I had six months under my belt and was eligible to become a trainer! My dispatcher who I later replaced with a male dispatcher suggested I become a trainer because she thought I was "very articulate."
I spent 15 months on the road seeing my beloved country. Living in my truck, often with a student at least 10 years my senior. I saw a lot and did a lot. I'm damn sure I've gotten drunk at more road-side pubs than anyone of my buddies. I saved a shit load of money too! Being a trainer I was taking home upwards of a grand a week. Good money for a 25 year old just outta college with a BA!!!
Anyways, I remember a load for Sears I was delivering in Wyoming. The trailer was only a quarter of the way full. I had some washers and dryers and maybe a refridgerator or two. All of it was loaded right in the front end of the trailer. Well sir; I had two deliveries the next morning in central and north-western Wyoming and as I entered Wyoming from the East side the sign above the interstate warned me that heavy winds were only going to get worse and that vehicles such as mine should pull off ASAP. I ignored the warning since I had two appointments early the next morning. My trailer was being blown so hard by wind out of the North that it was riding a foot over the dotted yellow line into the Westbound passing lane. Luckily the interstate was rather empty. I remember talking to some old drivers on my CB radio and they told me to move my tandems all the way to the back. I pulled off for a 10 minute pit-stop and moved my tandems all the way back.
Once, the trailor actually lifted up off it's right side and was rolling only on its left side tires!! Needless to say, I was scared to death. That night had yet another challenge in store. I pulled off at the proper exit to take the state highway north toward my first stop. I proceeded to drive about 100 miles due North.
After driving North for an hour or two, it was time to turn left (West) onto another state highway. After only 20 minutes or so of Westward driving I found myself in the worst blizzard I've ever witnessed; much less driven through. The snow was coming down so hard it was blowing completely horizontally in a Southern direction. I couldn't see 5 feet in front of my truck and it was night time! When a strong gust came, I couldn't even see the front of my truck's hood.
I pushed on at about 20 mph for what seemed like forever. I finally came to a rest area where other cars and a few trucks had chickened out and pulled over for the night. I got on the radio and was trying to find out when the blizzard might clear since my early morning appointment was very important to me. After a couple hours someone finally answered me and instruced me to take the highway North right past the rest stop where I'd been parked. He told me that after a couple miles going North that I'd come over a ridge and descend into the valley where my first delivery was and that things were totally clear there.
I took his word for it, released my airbrakes and headed North. Sure enough, before I knew it I pulled over the crest of the ridge and whadya know...it was all clear. Just the rare snowflake! I could see for what seemed like miles for the first time in hours. I could see the lights of the small city where I had my first delivery early the next morning. I was soooo relieved! You don't even know...
So, in closing, wind is both a blessing and a curse for some.

Comments:
Great entry Joe, I think maybe you should be a writer instead of a teacher. Had me glued to my seat.
 
Yeah! Fun reading! Let's hear some more tales from the road! Ever hit a Sasqwatch or pick up a three-eyed, drooling hitch-hiker?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?